UNSW was the first Australian university to establish a program of sports scholarships in 1988. In 2011 we provided over $100,000 in support to 126 talented and academically strong student athletes.
The cornerstone of the program is the Ben Lexcen Sport Scholarship program with each scholarship providing up to $5,000 in cash and in-kind support annually. There are 22 of these awarded each year. See the current 2012 Ben Lexcen Scholarship holders.
The Lexcen Scholarships are named after Ben Lexcen, who rose from adversity to become one of Australia’s greatest sportsmen who represented Australia at the 1972 Olympics and was the designer of the winged keel that played a major role in the victory of Australia II in the 1983 America’s Cup. Ben’s attributes of hard work, perseverance, sporting achievement and contribution to society are the values that we expect from our Ben Lexcen Scholars.
In addition to the Ben Lexcen Sports Scholarships, there are a number of other scholarships on offer. For information about all of UNSW Sports Scholarships follow the link below
Only kind donations over the years have made these scholarships possible. The program is funded by generous donations. Click on the picture to donate now!
UNSW ELITE ATHLETES AND PERFORMERS ENTRY PROGRAM
Under the UNSW Elite Athletes and Performers Entry Program, applicants for undergraduate places can receive up to five bonus points on their ATAR (or recognised senior secondary qualification) for entry into their preferred UNSW program. (Note: Bonus points are not available for admission to the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery program) or any Co-op programs.
The Elite Athlete and Performers Flexible Entry –Bonus ATAR points FIND OUT MORE
Elite athletes are defined according to the Australian Sports Commission’s Elite Athlete Friendly University Agreement.
Bonus points are awarded for excellence in a range of approved activities according to the level of expertise reached. For example, five points may be awarded for national representative sport.
The Elite Athletes and Performers Entry Program also provides eligible students in all study programs the necessary support to successfully integrate their academic life with their sporting pursuits through enrolment flexibility, cross-institutional study options and leave of absence for travel commitments.
UNSW is an Elite Athlete friendly university as endorsed by both the Australian and the NSW Institutes of Sport.
As well as offering some bonus points on entry requirements for outstanding athletes, the Elite Athlete support program provides eligible students in all study areas the necessary support to successfully integrate their academic life with their sporting pursuits through enrolment flexibility, cross-institutional study options and leave of absence for travel commitments.
Check out the new Elite Athlete Video - Produced by UNSW TV!
A number of scholarships are available each year:
|Ben Lexcen Scholarship||
|High Performance Scholarship
|Honorary Ben Lexcen Scholar ship
1. Support under the Elite Athlete Support Program is limited to enrolled UNSW students.
2. The Lexcen Scholarships will be governed by the conditions outlined in the Lexcen Sports Scholarships Protocol.
3. Apart from the Honorary Lexcen Scholar category, applicants are expected to make themselves available for selection to compete/coach in identified University Sport events in their chosen sport (or University Sport equivalent), and would be expected to make a significant contribution to the performance of the UNSW team at the identified University Sport event.
4. Elite Performer recognition enables the recipient to be considered for academic flexibility where training and competition (especially due to international travel) impacts on course attendance, enrolment status and/or assessment tasks.
5. Only student-athletes selected to compete international events recognised by the sport’s International Federation (as determined by the Australian Sports Commission or as evidenced by affiliation with the International Olympic Committee) will be eligible to apply for international travel grants. Events may include selection events for Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games or World Championships. International events sanctioned by Australian University Sport are included.
6. Preference will be given to student-athletes who are active members of UNSW affiliated Clubs where their chosen sport has an affiliated UNSW Club.
7. Consideration will also be given to student-athletes where their chosen sport does not have a UNSW affiliated Club, or if the relevant UNSW Club does not provide a suitable level of competition.
How To Apply:
For information on how to apply visit: http://www.scholarships.unsw.edu.au/scholarship/sc_al_authentication.login
or contact Helen Bryson on (02) 9385 5725 or email email@example.com